• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

Just an anime wallpaper [Criticism is much appreciated]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Raiden
    • Group: New Member
    • Last active: Dec 19 2015 05:43 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hello, so I've just finished making a wallpaper from one of my favourite animes. Somehow it still doesn't look very finished, I could use some help on what to remove or what to add!

Image is too big, click here to get redirected.

Thanks in advance,

Raiden

OBS: Sorry if this isn't the correct section to ask for help  :016:

Teyko
    • Last active: Sep 11 2015 03:22 PM
      • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

heya well lets see what i can do to help :D 
first of all lets start with the render i cant really tell if you used Dodge and Burn tool since the character is really dark. but you should use the Dodge/Burn tool to give your Character a bit of depth making it look a bit more alive and realistic. The next thing is you should play a bit with the Levels and see if you can get the Character a bit more lighter. now lets move to the Background. the Background looks really weak i mean it doesn't give the overall image an impact if i am right you used a Background added a 4D object and put it on screen. then you used some some Optical flares (those light things) and if i am right a abstract brush to add the splash effect. i don't know if you tried to achieve that the render in the BG look like wings but if yes you nailed it haha really nice. my advice to the BG would be remove the optical flare and the splash it makes the picture looks blurry and messy. try to use something that tells more about the character or the anime. for example take a look at this [image] http://pre04.deviantart.net/8f29/th/pre/i/2015/227/9/8/bladesoul_attempt_3_by_paradoxx95-d95sdea.png [/image] the X was created by 2 brushes that i crossed and the image inside is a picture of a landscape from the game that i simply blurred out, even tho its just something really simple i catches the eye that's whats what you can do you can for example put a picture of the anime in the background that covers a certain area that tells you something about it the character or the anime. if you don't like it try to use different sorts of brushes to create something that fits the character. if i am right then she can play chess really good so maybe chess field based background. what you definitely should do is if you are done with your total image create a new layer and then on top click on Image > apply image what that does is it makes a copy of the whole layers on 1 ( something like a total image) on that way you can play with filters blurs and other things without editing every single layer with the fear of ruin something. and try to use the sharpen filter to make the picture a bit more sharp.

Edited by Teyko, 29 August 2015 - 11:43 AM.

Raiden

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

stuff

The render itself was really bright and already had those added light effects on the hair and etc, but I couldn't find any other render I liked, specially dressed (she's part of an ecchi anime, so getting dressed renders is a pain in the ass) or a picture with a decent quality for me to render it :/

The render in the background was meant to look like wings, but I was afraid no one would notice :p I guess I'll just start all over, after reading your opinion, the background looks really underwhelming and blurry. I have no idea what to do though, I'm really bad at creating backgrounds.

I also barely use the brush tool as I suck at drawing :x 

If I may ask, on that "X" you draw, did you add any kind of texture besides the background?

Edit: How did you know she was good at chess?  :d200712191837579928:

Edited by Raiden, 29 August 2015 - 06:31 PM.

Teyko
    • Last active: Sep 11 2015 03:22 PM
      • LocationGermany

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

alright if it was already bright then you made it a bit to dark XD but yea as i said the idea with the wings is really nice :D and you don't really haw to draw you can look for abstract brushes or customized brushes on the internet there are more then enough i usually like to use this website http://www.brushking.eu/it got some pretty nice brushes you can use. and to the ''X'' no texture all i did was using a pattern overlay so you see it doesn't need much to create something eye catching :p. what you could do for example is make the picture split in 3 sections like ''V' in the middle you put your render and on the left and right you could put her allies and enemies. or you could make a anime-cross based wallpaper like again the ''V'' cut and you put her on the middle and the guy from code geas on the left or right and someone else who is good at chess at right like the ultimative battle XD.

and a advice from the heart: never bother to think does it look good now ? do i need more should i change this. less is more small effects have a bigger impact than big ones

and how i know that she is good at chess well,i know the anime its Highschool DxD i never saw it but you hear a LOT about it XD

Raiden

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

stuff

That V divided thingie, looks rather interesting for a signature, I don't see it fitting that well on a wallpaper though :p 

So, I've taken some stuff you said into consideration and made something from scratch.

This time added a brush + that background from the anime you said, too give a little bit more of emphasis, forgot to blur it though >.< but I guess it doesn't matter, I think the brush behind the render doesn't blend in much with the background.

I'm always open to more criticism :p I love to keep learning and trying to improve ^^

Here's the link. I think I should get rid of the c4d on the left and put her name there for example?

Edit: Did a few adjustments to the image as I wasn't liking it how it looked. I'm much more satisfied with the current result

Edited by Raiden, 06 September 2015 - 05:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users