• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

Help With Building Computer.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Solar
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: Oct 04 2015 03:18 PM
      • LocationIn the Sky

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

Hey guys, so I'm completely new at building a computer and was wondering if anybody here can help me.

I would like to know;

• what parts are necessary,
  • what's the best of said part (like who makes the best motherboards, video cards, ram, etc.),
  • and maybe if anyone can link me to a good video that shows how to build it?
  • (may think of new things)

Some things I want to do with the computer would be some 3d modeling, gaming at max settings for games like Witcher 3, The upcoming Fallout 4, Mass Effect 4, and other cool titles. :).

If anyone can help me with this it'd be great! Thanks again. :b6b25dc6:

PS!: Im new at this so if you could use terms a noob can understand it'd be great!

PSS!: The price doesn't matter at the moment. I just want to learn about the parts and who the best manufacturers are. You can post builds and I may end up using them!

Edited by Solar, 15 June 2015 - 07:52 PM.

OLa4r9k.png

Muppie
    • Group: Contest Moderator
    • Title: Omigodilovemoosomuch
    • Last active: Dec 25 2015 02:05 PM
      • LocationHolland

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:13 AM

I am new at this aswell but I have build myself a PC recently and learned alot about it :D

* the main parts you need are:

-GPU (graphics card)

-CPU (processor)

-CPU-Fan (cooling for you cpu)

-Motherboard

-PSU (power supply)

-RAM

-HDD/SSD (your main storage I reccomend both)

-A CASE

(And ofcourse stuff like a monitor, mouse, keyboard)

Here is my build just to make an example (its a pc from around 850 euros)

CASE: NZXT S340 (White)

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Black Edition

CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX-970

PSU: CORSAIR CX750M

SSD: SANDISK SSD 128GB

HDD: SEAGATE HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 

RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9d-8GBXL

* There isn't really the best brand... like for gpu's you can go either nvidia or amd both are as good so it goes eitherway. that is between the chips.

but the same goes for the producers of the cards, again they are pretty much all good so it doesn't matter if you go msi or asus just whatever floats your boat.

(JUST don't go for like a cheap chinese knock of brand)

And this also counts for cpu's/motherboards and stuff.

As for picking parts it is important that you pick parts that can work together for this you need to watch out for: does you cpu fit your motherboard (look if the motherboard supports the socket type of the CPU) the ram car on the motherboard (same as with the cpu). 

Does your mother board fit your case. And (a very important thing) does your psu supply enough power for all the parts.

Going further on the PSU(power supply)

As I said before always check if it supplies enough power! look for minimum power not maximum.

Don't buy a cheapo!

As for performance generally if it costs more money its better.

altough if you only tend to game you don't need more then a quad(4) core processor, And if you want to do stuff like design, 3d modelling and streaming then more cores is better because you need them.

As for RAM usually 8gb is good but 16gb is better, but you don't need more than that really.

On a case its important that well it fits all your parts XD so look out for that :D and look for airflow more is better (you don't want to overheat your pc)

*here are some videos to help you out:

Putting a pc together: 

Picking a gpu(graphics card): 

Motherboards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnaQyGAg8Eg

Power supplies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXku-gsdyok

Another pc build guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q8ksRI1Eo

I hope I helped!

Posted Image

http://muppiemaster.deviantart.com/

More than machinery we need humanity. -Charles Chaplin

Baka
    • Group: Admin
    • Title: Buy vip >.>
    • Last active: Apr 08 2017 03:45 PM
      • LocationIn Moo's Pants jk

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

Give me your budget and tell me where you're from and I will make you a build. 

SirMoo
    • Title: Rawr! :3
    • Last active: Jan 30 2017 01:50 PM
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

Consider to always over build. Get a slightly bigger PSU than you think you'll need will allow you to upgrade in the future without worrying. Don't skimp on the processor or graphics card and ram is cheap so go all out. You can easily grab two 8 gig sticks for under 100 of quality ram in the US.

Also consider getting some quality thermal paste... Arctic Silver Thermal Compound is supposedly pretty good. I use it. ( New Egg - Amazon ) Remove the stalk thermal compound with a cleaning agent. I used ArtctiClean. Worked wonders and smells like grapefruit. Dropping your core processor temperature by 5c is worth it when the total kit should cost you under 15usd.

Solar
      • LocationIn the Sky

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

I am new at this aswell but I have build myself a PC recently and learned alot about it :D

* the main parts you need are:

-GPU (graphics card)

-CPU (processor)

-CPU-Fan (cooling for you cpu)

-Motherboard

-PSU (power supply)

-RAM

-HDD/SSD (your main storage I reccomend both)

-A CASE

(And ofcourse stuff like a monitor, mouse, keyboard)

Here is my build just to make an example (its a pc from around 850 euros)

CASE: NZXT S340 (White)

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Black Edition

CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX-970

PSU: CORSAIR CX750M

SSD: SANDISK SSD 128GB

HDD: SEAGATE HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 

RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9d-8GBXL

* There isn't really the best brand... like for gpu's you can go either nvidia or amd both are as good so it goes eitherway. that is between the chips.

but the same goes for the producers of the cards, again they are pretty much all good so it doesn't matter if you go msi or asus just whatever floats your boat.

(JUST don't go for like a cheap chinese knock of brand)

And this also counts for cpu's/motherboards and stuff.

As for picking parts it is important that you pick parts that can work together for this you need to watch out for: does you cpu fit your motherboard (look if the motherboard supports the socket type of the CPU) the ram car on the motherboard (same as with the cpu). 

Does your mother board fit your case. And (a very important thing) does your psu supply enough power for all the parts.

Going further on the PSU(power supply)

As I said before always check if it supplies enough power! look for minimum power not maximum.

Don't buy a cheapo!

As for performance generally if it costs more money its better.

altough if you only tend to game you don't need more then a quad(4) core processor, And if you want to do stuff like design, 3d modelling and streaming then more cores is better because you need them.

As for RAM usually 8gb is good but 16gb is better, but you don't need more than that really.

On a case its important that well it fits all your parts XD so look out for that :D and look for airflow more is better (you don't want to overheat your pc)

*here are some videos to help you out:

Putting a pc together: 

Picking a gpu(graphics card): 

Motherboards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnaQyGAg8Eg

Power supplies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXku-gsdyok

Another pc build guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q8ksRI1Eo

I hope I helped!

Oh man definitely. I'm going to need to screen shot this and save it for future uses. :D Thanks for taking the time out to help me! Hopefully when I get the parts I'll come back to update you guys. :f529a952:

Give me your budget and tell me where you're from and I will make you a build. 

Okay I'm from The US and I'm going to save up to $1,000. Blow meh away. :D

Consider to always over build. Get a slightly bigger PSU than you think you'll need will allow you to upgrade in the future without worrying. Don't skimp on the processor or graphics card and ram is cheap so go all out. You can easily grab two 8 gig sticks for under 100 of quality ram in the US.

Also consider getting some quality thermal paste... Arctic Silver Thermal Compound is supposedly pretty good. I use it. ( New Egg - Amazon ) Remove the stalk thermal compound with a cleaning agent. I used ArtctiClean. Worked wonders and smells like grapefruit. Dropping your core processor temperature by 5c is worth it when the total kit should cost you under 15usd.

I'll look into these things! Is there anyway that the thermal paste or cleaning agent can ruin any of that parts?

OLa4r9k.png

Baka

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

There you go

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y3sv7P

Buy those parts, put them together, no need to upgrade or buy anything else for the next 2 to 4 years

SirMoo
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

I'll look into these things! Is there anyway that the thermal paste or cleaning agent can ruin any of that parts?

Simple answer, no.

The cleaning agent then polishing stuff is made for that.... So just follow the directions to remove the thermal paste put on by the factory. Make sure to use paper towels that are not too... fluffy as they will leave debris.

Apply very small amounts of thermal paste as stated (enough to cover the entire thing when pressure is applied) but if it's too thick it could leak out everywhere and it's a bitch to clean... Just look before you clean off the factory paste what was already on there and just emulate it... It's not something to worry about honestly. Just keep it in mind.

Only place you can really go wrong with building the computer and 'fucking' up is the processor... If you bend the prongs... you're going to have a bad time... but using a credit card you can slowly work them back into place if you fuck shit up like I did... (I actually use hypodermic needles and credit cards... took me like 30 minutes or more to get my processor pins to work right).

In the PC build Dar made... You can either use your current pc hard drive or buy the one he has listed. Using your current one (if it has the OS you want) will save you some cash. He's allocated two different hard drives... It's up to you to figure out if you need them. Ideally the SSD for your OS and then the other one for storage.

Since you're in the US... We'll cover rebates... With the mail in rebates... make sure you do it properly... They'll send you a bunch of credit/debit/gift cards... Don't forget these cards can be used on Paypal to... you know... buy things like OC VIP. -wink, wink, nudge, nudge.-

I honestly encourage you to stick to using New Egg and Amazon... But remember that New Egg will make YOU pay to ship things back to them if shit is broken and it's their fault... :/

Solar
      • LocationIn the Sky

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

There you go

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y3sv7P

Buy those parts, put them together, no need to upgrade or buy anything else for the next 2 to 4 years

Oh!! Thank you! :D

Simple answer, no.

The cleaning agent then polishing stuff is made for that.... So just follow the directions to remove the thermal paste put on by the factory. Make sure to use paper towels that are not too... fluffy as they will leave debris.

Apply very small amounts of thermal paste as stated (enough to cover the entire thing when pressure is applied) but if it's too thick it could leak out everywhere and it's a ***** to clean... Just look before you clean off the factory paste what was already on there and just emulate it... It's not something to worry about honestly. Just keep it in mind.

Only place you can really go wrong with building the computer and '****ing' up is the processor... If you bend the prongs... you're going to have a bad time... but using a credit card you can slowly work them back into place if you **** **** up like I did... (I actually use hypodermic needles and credit cards... took me like 30 minutes or more to get my processor pins to work right).

In the PC build Dar made... You can either use your current pc hard drive or buy the one he has listed. Using your current one (if it has the OS you want) will save you some cash. He's allocated two different hard drives... It's up to you to figure out if you need them. Ideally the SSD for your OS and then the other one for storage.

Since you're in the US... We'll cover rebates... With the mail in rebates... make sure you do it properly... They'll send you a bunch of credit/debit/gift cards... Don't forget these cards can be used on Paypal to... you know... buy things like OC VIP. -wink, wink, nudge, nudge.-

I honestly encourage you to stick to using New Egg and Amazon... But remember that New Egg will make YOU pay to ship things back to them if **** is broken and it's their fault... :/

Thanks for all the clearing up! I'll be extra careful with the processor so hopefully no worries there! Again thanks for all the info. :D

OLa4r9k.png

Baka

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

Just put a small drop in the middle, because when you apply pressure with the cooler, it will expand, covering 80% of the CPU

Watch this video. 

https://youtu.be/-hNgFNH7zhQ?t=1m44s

Now remember, use the PEA method, nothing else. PEA METHOD

Solar
      • LocationIn the Sky

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:02 PM

Just put a small drop in the middle, because when you apply pressure with the cooler, it will expand, covering 80% of the CPU

Watch this video. 

https://youtu.be/-hNgFNH7zhQ?t=1m44s

Now remember, use the PEA method, nothing else. PEA METHOD

Alright thanks for the video. With the website you gave me with all the parts, could I just buy all the parts off of there?

OLa4r9k.png

SirMoo
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

Just shop around for the parts. I only buy from NewEgg.com and Amazon.com but you're free to try a few companies. Amazon.com tends to be the most safe bet incase a product is defective.

Solar
      • LocationIn the Sky

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Alright thanks. Yeah I just wanted to see if it was a safe place to buy from and all. Gotta keep dat cash secure y'know!! :P

OLa4r9k.png

Baka

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Alright thanks. Yeah I just wanted to see if it was a safe place to buy from and all. Gotta keep dat cash secure y'know!! :P

Pretty much Newegg and Amazon are the safest. 

SirMoo
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

On that list... Amazon... Newegg... and then there is B&H. I've bought from them before... Big store in New York City or something? OutletPC is listed as a Google Trusted Store... so that's a plus. Best Buy is of course to be trusted. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users