• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

Open Photography Competition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Yang
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: Aug 12 2016 09:19 AM
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

So this is a little different, but I hope you the shutterbugs here will give it a chance! So instead of writing up something that's tl:dr, here's a Q&A on what an open competition is. 

Q: What is an Open Competition? 

A: An open competition is a competition where the community gets to pitch in. The entrants posts works here, and the community then gets to critique and comment on the works before the end of the submission deadline. Then, the competition enters a one-week voting period. It's almost like a team battle that can include the entire community. If you're not a photographer, or just aren't interested in entering, think of the pieces you critique as the pieces you collaborated on. 

Q: So if I enter, everyone will see my work? 

A: That's right. If you're not comfortable with this, you can opt to enter in at the last minute, but I encourage you to give this a chance. What people have to say about your work may help you improve, not just in an objective sense, but in a practical sense that can help you win future competitions outside this forum. 

Q: So how is this different from just posting my work on the forums? 

A: You get a chance to hear opinions in a competition before voting begins. Not many people get this opportunity to create something for a competition, then improve upon it to the judge's (in this case, the community) liking. 

Q: If everyone can see my work, who's to say people won't vote for someone else due to favouritism?

A: No one. But I really do hope this community is grown past the point of voting against rivals, or voting for besties.  

Q: If everyone can critique my work before voting, won't we already know who the winners are before we actually vote? 

A: Not necessarily. Keep in mind not everyone will take the time to critique your work. Also, one person may have a word or two for each and every submission. An honest critique isn't an indicator of if someone will vote for you. 

Official Rules For Entrants

-Entries must be photographs taken by YOU. 

-Entrants are able to comment or critique on the submissions of other entrants

-Entrants are not allowed to vote for themselves 

-Entries must be in line with the given theme (Macros OR Close Ups) 

-All entries must be posted in this topic

-Comments/Critique should be made on said photo using the Quote or MultiQuote function

-Play nice. Any offensive comments, or non-constructive comments will be disregarded. 

Official Rules for Commenters/Critiquers

-You can comment on one or all entries. 

-Comments/Critique should be made on said photo using the Quote or MultiQuote function. 

-Play nice. Any offensive comments, or non-constructive comments will be disregarded. 

Additional comment: I know that while commenting on the same photos for a couple weeks, you'll have an idea of who to vote for

by the end of the submission time frame, but I encourage you to try to keep your voting ideas as subtle as possible till actual voting. 

Keep in mind this is a game, and we want this to be fun! So make it fun! 

Theme: Macro OR Close Up 

(pretty ambiguous theme. doesn't have to be an actual macro. close up photos will do as well) 

Deadline: March 10th 2015

Voting will begin sometime March 11th 2015

Edited by Yang, 24 February 2015 - 05:40 PM.

Neurology
    • Last active: Jun 02 2016 04:24 PM
      • LocationThe Netherlands

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

i'm in.

Shia-Labeouf-motivation-just-do-it.gif?t

Unclemax
    • Last active: Dec 27 2015 02:44 PM
      • LocationMars

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

Is one allowed to post older photographs?

dvlhqf.png

Thank you, Xtacy!

Neurology
    • Last active: Jun 02 2016 04:24 PM
      • LocationThe Netherlands

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

I'm not sure what yang thinks but, i would say no. 

Shia-Labeouf-motivation-just-do-it.gif?t

Yang
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Neuro is right! You can only post stuff made after yesterday... But I'll be lenient and say this also includes things that have been FINISHED since yesterday. So if you have a photo that's been sitting on your desktop for months but you've never edited it, let alone posted on another forum it I'd say that's a valid entry. 

Edited by Yang, 25 February 2015 - 11:55 AM.

Fireclaw
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: ∞ Infinite Darkness ∞
    • Last active: May 12 2015 04:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hmm, I might enter this.

Posted Image

Yang
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Do it! I will :) 

Fireclaw
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: ∞ Infinite Darkness ∞
    • Last active: May 12 2015 04:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

Do it! I will :) 

Yeah, it's really all about finding time to sit down and plan a proper shot.

I know I can just randomly shoot something and get a decent result, but I've posted those kind of pictures before and tbh they don't help me improve.

What I lack isn't the knowledge of how to use a camera, it's the knowledge of how to position the elements of the shoot to get the effect that I imagine in my head.

Posted Image

Yang
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, it's really all about finding time to sit down and plan a proper shot.

I know I can just randomly shoot something and get a decent result, but I've posted those kind of pictures before and tbh they don't help me improve.

What I lack isn't the knowledge of how to use a camera, it's the knowledge of how to position the elements of the shoot to get the effect that I imagine in my head.

It's all about lighting, and that's super simple! In fact a lot of beginners OVER think their lighting set ups and that just causes mayhem. Feel free to PM me what you have in mind and I can help you get there. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users