• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

New Workstation Computer (Custom Built)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Fireclaw
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: ∞ Infinite Darkness ∞
    • Last active: May 12 2015 04:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

"Much better" You're joking, right? First off, 8GB of ram... That already makes this computer worthless to me for anything other than gaming and surfing the web. Second, there is no reason for a $200~ motherboard in a budget build. Third, that price doesn't include the GPU. Adding a 780 would add an additional $4-500 dollars to this, making the computer $1500. Fourth, seagate drives are crap. Lastly, that build you linked me doesn't include a Pro Art Monitor (or any monitor), keyboard, mouse, or mousepad. 

tl;dr: that build you linked me is worthless

lel, didn't realize that the 780ti wasn't included in the cost, my bad.

That being said, the expense of the mobo is justified by the hackintosh compatibility. RAM can be upgraded easily and pointing it out as a flaw of a build is silly. ANNNND the 780ti actually benches better than the 980 (plus the 900 series gpu's aren't hackintosh compatible yet).

Again, sorry about the price, I incorrectly assumed that the 780ti was included in that $1000 cost and thus excused it's lack of peripherals which are personal preference anyway.

Posted Image

UnbalancedTheory
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: May 19 2015 12:01 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

ANNNND the 780ti actually benches better than the 980

What? No it isn't. The GTX 980 is currently the most single-GPU right now. The 780 ti is somewhere between the GTX 970 and 980 in terms of raw performance. However, the new 900 series have power consumptions that are ridiculously low that even the GTX 970 can be overclocked to a point it's equal to/surpasses the 780 ti in performance. And the GTX 970 is cheaper than the 780 ti, too.

I think you may have seen benchmark comparisons between the two cards when graphic drivers weren't quite furbished for the GTX 980, or you're talking about benchmarks that are not gaming-related.

JK5qubZ.png

Fireclaw

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

What? No it isn't. The GTX 980 is currently the most single-GPU right now. The 780 ti is somewhere between the GTX 970 and 980 in terms of raw performance. However, the new 900 series have power consumptions that are ridiculously low that even the GTX 970 can be overclocked to a point it's equal to/surpasses the 780 ti in performance. And the GTX 970 is cheaper than the 780 ti, too.

I think you may have seen benchmark comparisons between the two cards when graphic drivers weren't quite furbished for the GTX 980, or you're talking about benchmarks that are not gaming-related.

http://youtu.be/t2QpCtsL5L0?t=8m38s

That's the benchmark video I am referring to. In those benchmarks, the 780ti and 980 are neck and neck (I believe they are also both overclocked).

Posted Image

UnbalancedTheory

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

http://youtu.be/t2QpCtsL5L0?t=8m38s

That's the benchmark video I am referring to. In those benchmarks, the 780ti and 980 are neck and neck (I believe they are also both overclocked).

Not really. Perhaps it is true for the average FPS numbers,but BF4's minimum FPS is improved from 40-42  to 50-54 on the GTX 980 which is definitely an important factor. It'd give a more smooth gameplay experience from the consistency of the FPS. Also, they're using a reference model GTX 980s, which is quite inferior to other coolers like the TWIN FROZR V, which has a much higher turbo boost. Yes, the GTX 980 is overclocked in this benchmark, but it can be even higher on a non-reference model like the TWIN FROZR V I mentioned earlier. There's obviously other factors which makes the GTX 980 better as well which was mentioned in the video; 3G Delta colour compression, MFAA, DSR - the much more efficient power consumption is also a very key selling factor of the new GTX 9## series as well. Considering a lot of the 780 ti's have similar pricings to the GTX 980, I would much rather prefer to go with the GTX 980 option.

tl;dr: GTX 980 > GTX 780 ti

JK5qubZ.png

SeeJay
    • Last active: Jul 02 2015 11:51 PM
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Your guys's conversation scares me...

Edited by SeeJay, 20 December 2014 - 10:34 PM.

UnbalancedTheory

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

Your guys's conversation scares me...

Haha, it's actually quite straight-forward when you know the terminologies. I was pretty much just babbling about the differences in performance & features between two different video cards. It's just the cryptic words & abbreviations that make it sound so technical.

JK5qubZ.png

SeeJay
    • Last active: Jul 02 2015 11:51 PM
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

Haha, it's actually quite straight-forward when you know the terminologies. I was pretty much just babbling about the differences in performance & features between two different video cards. It's just the cryptic words & abbreviations that make it sound so technical.

But I do learn something from you guys so please continue.  :th_084_:

Fireclaw

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Not really. Perhaps it is true for the average FPS numbers,but BF4's minimum FPS is improved from 40-42  to 50-54 on the GTX 980 which is definitely an important factor. It'd give a more smooth gameplay experience from the consistency of the FPS. Also, they're using a reference model GTX 980s, which is quite inferior to other coolers like the TWIN FROZR V, which has a much higher turbo boost. Yes, the GTX 980 is overclocked in this benchmark, but it can be even higher on a non-reference model like the TWIN FROZR V I mentioned earlier. There's obviously other factors which makes the GTX 980 better as well which was mentioned in the video; 3G Delta colour compression, MFAA, DSR - the much more efficient power consumption is also a very key selling factor of the new GTX 9## series as well. Considering a lot of the 780 ti's have similar pricings to the GTX 980, I would much rather prefer to go with the GTX 980 option.

tl;dr: GTX 980 > GTX 780 ti

Fair enough. The only argument I've got left is that you can sometimes find 780ti's on sale for much lower than 980's (since the're older) and at that point the price/performance ratio can't be beat.

Posted Image

UnbalancedTheory

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

Fair enough. The only argument I've got left is that you can sometimes find 780ti's on sale for much lower than 980's (since the're older) and at that point the price/performance ratio can't be beat.

Yes, I can agree with you on that. The GTX 980 is a great card, but it's price:performance ratio is pretty horrible at the moment, especially compared to the GTX 970. I was only arguing against your other comment which implied the 780 ti was better than the 980 in performance.

JK5qubZ.png

WyvernAbstracts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

damn, hate how you up'd my build. Running an 8320 and a 270x :( (still amazing doe) 

2ykj9f5.png

The Universe is a Blank Canvas, and you're the Artist.

So make Life what you want it to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users