• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

What to look for in a computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

SeeJay
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: Jul 02 2015 11:51 PM
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hey guys, I am trying to get a new computer for myself so I can enjoy using it without having any problems. I got a Chromebook C7 that doesn't download ANYTHING off of the internet (Not even Skype!) and a very slow Windows XP that I still own and it's about 6 to 7 years old now.

So what I am trying to ask is what do I need to look for first before buying a computer? Because I am going to be honest, I don't know much about computers. So should I be looking for the most memories? Processor (Whatever that is...)? I only thing that I do know is how much I am spending, and I am looking forward to spend between $200 to $600 dollars (Money is not in my book at the time).

So it'll be a great help if I can great some advice if you know a thing or two about getting a decent computer. PLEASE HELP!

Fireclaw
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: ∞ Infinite Darkness ∞
    • Last active: May 12 2015 04:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Snag yourself one of these... The specs are amazing for the price.

Also, don't spend any less than $500. All you'll get is trash.

(I'm assuming you want a laptop?)

http://shop.lenovo.c.../#tab-customize

Posted Image

SeeJay
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Indeed I do want a laptop. A desktop is far too expensive for me right now and this looks nice. I'll add this to my list.

I wish that I could say more, but I don't know much about computers so looks like I'm gonna have to study a bit in my free time.

SomaCruzs
    • Last active: Sep 08 2015 01:09 PM
      • LocationInside Pandora's box

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Depends what you would use the laptop for. I would approve this laptop but some changes I would personally make to the laptop if its for graphics work or PC gaming is upgrade the capacity of the hard drive to about 1 TB at about 7200 RPM or more. Increase the amount of memory from 4GB --> 8GB or 16 GB if the motherboard supports it. I can't change the CPU or processor since is normally built into the motherboard but try to find somewhere with a processor of i5 or more. Not sure about the graphics card but I guess is worth to keep but those are some of my opinions on the laptop. 

AOG-Fyurra-Sig.png

~New to making signatures~

SeeJay
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

Depends what you would use the laptop for. I would approve this laptop but some changes I would personally make to the laptop if its for graphics work or PC gaming is upgrade the capacity of the hard drive to about 1 TB at about 7200 RPM or more. Increase the amount of memory from 4GB --> 8GB or 16 GB if the motherboard supports it. I can't change the CPU or processor since is normally built into the motherboard but try to find somewhere with a processor of i5 or more. Not sure about the graphics card but I guess is worth to keep but those are some of my opinions on the laptop. 

Well, if anything I would use it for graphic. I'm not a PC gamer so I'm not trying to get anything fancy, but what's a processor? And what's the meaning of "i5"? Sorry for my lack of knowledge for computers, but I just want a decent computer that is up-to-date (Like a Windows 8) and it's well efficient for me to use. 

SomaCruzs

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

Its alright Seejay, we all start somewhere like me learning the ropes of graphic art. I'll admit I didn't know any of these terms till I learnt it in college so I'll try my best to explain in a way that can be easily understood. So here are some basic terms you may see when browsing for computers or laptops.

Processor: The Processor or more commonly known as the CPU (Central Processing Unit) is basically the brain of the computer. This particular chip basically handles all the calculations and processes to make your computer work or function. An example would be say you open the program: Photoshop. The CPU would have to process the information very quickly just to be able to execute and output the application on to the screen.

Memory: The memory or RAM (Random Access Memory) is basically a temporary storage chip that holds active processors. Since all your personal files, software, games etc are stored in the hard drive. The distance between the CPU and hard drive is far and would take some time for the information to be pass from one point to another (not sure how long it would actually take). The memory sits between the CPU and hard drive to not only reduce the amount of time it takes for a piece of information from HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to the CPU. A quick example is if you open the game Solitaire (Old card game), the application files is stored on the HDD but copies the bits of files to the RAM causing the application to run from the RAM. If it needs additional piece of information that it may lack e.g. card pictures or scores, it will refer back to the HDD for the files.

Hard Drive: Hard Drive or HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is basically the storage part of the whole computer. This not only holds your personal files or applications but also has your operating system. As long you have space in your HDD you're all good but when you're running low on space you will develop problems later on. For now just ensure you have some space enough for the system to work.

Your question about the i5 CPU, I had to research that and found some information but mainly its the features it provides.

Core i7: It has a Quad Core processor, that contains features such as Hyper-Threading, Enchanced Intel Speed Step and Turbo Boost. These features mainly improve the processor performance. This is on the high end.

Core i5: Dual Core processor, its in the middle range processor that some of the same features as the i7. This includes the integrated  graphics processor located on the die. Its good but not great but will get the basic of work done such as executing videos, movies etc.

Core i3: Dual Core Processor, its on the lower end of the processor that has most of the features as the i5 except it does not support Turbo Boost.

I'm not 100% confident in my answer I just give so feel free to correct me or CnC me but hopefully that answers some of your question.

:154218d4:

AOG-Fyurra-Sig.png

SeeJay
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

Its alright Seejay, we all start somewhere like me learning the ropes of graphic art. I'll admit I didn't know any of these terms till I learnt it in college so I'll try my best to explain in a way that can be easily understood. So here are some basic terms you may see when browsing for computers or laptops.

Processor: The Processor or more commonly known as the CPU (Central Processing Unit) is basically the brain of the computer. This particular chip basically handles all the calculations and processes to make your computer work or function. An example would be say you open the program: Photoshop. The CPU would have to process the information very quickly just to be able to execute and output the application on to the screen.

Memory: The memory or RAM (Random Access Memory) is basically a temporary storage chip that holds active processors. Since all your personal files, software, games etc are stored in the hard drive. The distance between the CPU and hard drive is far and would take some time for the information to be pass from one point to another (not sure how long it would actually take). The memory sits between the CPU and hard drive to not only reduce the amount of time it takes for a piece of information from HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to the CPU. A quick example is if you open the game Solitaire (Old card game), the application files is stored on the HDD but copies the bits of files to the RAM causing the application to run from the RAM. If it needs additional piece of information that it may lack e.g. card pictures or scores, it will refer back to the HDD for the files.

Hard Drive: Hard Drive or HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is basically the storage part of the whole computer. This not only holds your personal files or applications but also has your operating system. As long you have space in your HDD you're all good but when you're running low on space you will develop problems later on. For now just ensure you have some space enough for the system to work.

Your question about the i5 CPU, I had to research that and found some information but mainly its the features it provides.

Core i7: It has a Quad Core processor, that contains features such as Hyper-Threading, Enchanced Intel Speed Step and Turbo Boost. These features mainly improve the processor performance. This is on the high end.

Core i5: Dual Core processor, its in the middle range processor that some of the same features as the i7. This includes the integrated  graphics processor located on the die. Its good but not great but will get the basic of work done such as executing videos, movies etc.

Core i3: Dual Core Processor, its on the lower end of the processor that has most of the features as the i5 except it does not support Turbo Boost.

I'm not 100% confident in my answer I just give so feel free to correct me or CnC me but hopefully that answers some of your question.

:154218d4:

This helps a lot. Or to be specific, this helps a lot to know what kind of computer I am looking for. Now I get the idea of what's good and partial what's bad. The reason why I say partial is because, "There's no such thing as perfect", but it would be best to get the best efficiency for a computer.

Anyways, thank you. And to you too Fireclaw for the recommendation.  :th_084_:

Fireclaw

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

Just two things. Firstly, the $620 dollar model of the lappy I linked has an i5 and 8GB RAM. Also, HDD RPM is irrelevant because it uses an SSHD (hybrid drive with solid state cache). 500GB is a little low though, I agree on that... I'll try to find one that has a TB, but it'll probably be more expensive. $600 isn't really a lot if you want a good laptop.

Posted Image

Sao
  • Sao
    • Last active: Jan 18 2016 10:28 AM

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

This one is amazing considering its price and specs. Get it asap if you can afford it, SeeJay. 

Edited by Sao, 12 December 2014 - 05:05 PM.

SomaCruzs

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

Is it me or did the laptop spec just got upgraded? it now displays it has i7 now and  has hybrid 1TB space?

AOG-Fyurra-Sig.png

SeeJay
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

This one is amazing considering its price and specs. Get it asap if you can afford it, SeeJay. 

Over $600 is a bit much man.. I'm even lucky to get a $100 in my life! Wait, I swear it was $529 last night!  :c8908497:

SomaCruzs

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

I think they updated their site meaning the specs and price may have changed since we last saw it. I think the model of the laptop is still the same though.

AOG-Fyurra-Sig.png

SeeJay
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:53 AM

Da fuq?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by SeeJay, 13 December 2014 - 01:56 AM.

SomaCruzs

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

The site is a lie!!!

AOG-Fyurra-Sig.png

Fireclaw

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

What you need to do is click "View Models" and then pick the one that works for you. You can get the same lappy configured with different specs for a different price, so just snag whatever you can afford in that model. =)

Hope that helps.

Posted Image

SeeJay
      • LocationIn a box

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

What you need to do is click "View Models" and then pick the one that works for you. You can get the same lappy configured with different specs for a different price, so just snag whatever you can afford in that model. =)

Hope that helps.

So when I click on the link here it gives me the $600+ one, but when I research it on the website when it gives me $500+. Both the same computer (Same specs and etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users