• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

STOP STOW?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Yang
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: Aug 12 2016 09:19 AM
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Okay so I can't post in the Site Suggestion forum for some reason? ...... :3_008:

Alright, I posted this topic to get everyone's attention. Now that I hopefully do I need you to do me a favour and read this all the way through because I promise this going to help the site out tremendously. Before we go on, I know some of you have a habit of not reading things all the way through, so to clear everything up: NO I am not suggestion to delete SOTW... Forever. And no I'm not advertising another website. Lemonish. I'm talking about you bud.

So I used to be a moderator at a few well known GFX communities. I was a moderator with administrative privilages at a site called FringeFX for a time... During it's prime... Not that I want to brag but I will. :d200712191837159952: Yeah I know it's not that impressive. I also moderated at a site called TKK, which did really well for a closed community, and had a pretty active GFX section for some time.

Now that my creds are in, I want to make this suggestion, and I'd be more than happy to help out in this. I've done it before, it's not usually done by many GFX communites, it's boosted activity ten fold, and I think you guys should really do this.

So what am I talking about? Well in 2011, one of the forums I was moderating was in a slump. So I proposed an idea of halting SOTW, and hosting a month long Graphics Tournament. The winner of which would be proclaimed Graphics Master of the Year, and win a cool T-shirt. It's great!

How I set up the tournament was like so; we took two weeks to get hyped up about the tournament and get people to sign up as well as contribute themes to use in a single topic. Once everyone signed up we would pit two random artist against each other with a randomly chosen theme. The winners advance to the next round and battle against other winners until we have a winner. It's a little more complicated than I make it sound but once people actually sign up and submit theme ideas it turns into something really cool.

So... Yes, no? Maybe so? Really, truth be told I think that SOTW is growing a little stale. Not in a sense that themes aren't fun or what not... It's just become very repetitive which happens in any SOTW regardless of who runs it. We need something to spice up our activity, and I think this could be great.

Edited by Yang, 10 November 2014 - 12:57 PM.

Lemonish
    • Title: ze fabulous
    • Last active: Jul 18 2016 01:31 PM
      • Locationuranus

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

You do realize you can't be advertising other sites here, this post will probably be deleted, poof.

96674cc62f4cb034701d5b4f45595fca.png

Yang
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

hey, just so there's no confusion I'm not advertising any site. All the aforementioned sites are offline or shut down. :)
this post is a suggestion FOR one canvas and I hope you all read it all the way through from now on. :)

z0b
  • z0b
    • Title: Sup?
    • Last active: May 16 2016 03:20 PM
      • LocationEstonia

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

Mistake in title.

2.png

SleeN
    • Title: Just Burn and Burn
    • Last active: Oct 17 2016 11:28 AM
      • LocationPortugal

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

It would be cool, but it would have to be very well organized and planned

Keppler
    • Last active: Nov 16 2016 10:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

while that may be interesting.. the people that loses wont have anything to do during a whole month...

now using this battle style could be used as side competition for SOTW

and yeh SOTW is a little stale.. most people arent even entering but at least some of us have something to look foward every week..

oh editing..

battleground was supposed to look something close to this.. but without rewards and no one has used it yet :P

just advertise more the batteground and add some changes to it and there you go.. :)

thats the way i think it should be right now

Edited by Keppler, 10 November 2014 - 05:21 PM.

pjN6b1Y.png

Xtacy
    • Title: Overdose
    • Last active: Dec 05 2015 01:48 PM
      • LocationMy World

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

This is a nice idea but the community isn't be that big. Plus having merchandise so quick? This would take a good year or two after this community has grown. We don't even have a DA group yet. Honestly I don't know if we should keep the SOTW or not but it truly depends on us. Most people in this community can't put in time. I guess a signature of the month would be cool but getting a t-shirt and stuff is a no way cause people have barely funded (I shouldn't be talking but yee). Also put artist in together like a tournament style? Have you seen the battle section? Also there would most likely be like 5 or 6 competitors or at least that is what I estimate it would be. I don't think people find the SOTW repetitive it's more about not having the time. Most of us are in school or work. Sometimes even both but you understand what I mean. Also to pick a theme would be like everyone saying one thing and another. The themes that are put there are good because its challenging and good. Sometimes even fitting. The problem isn't SOTW it's the people in this community who don't have time. Also if your gonna reply to me with that time doesn't exist bull**** then please try and finish my English essay,  chemistry homework, chilling with my friends,  boxing, making a signature and getting a goodnight rest. Also this is just an opinion. You have a good idea but just like Tesla you are in the wrong time my friend. I hope this is suggested in the future or at summer with a lot of people like a summer tournament. 

2ap44i.jpg

DA:http://xtacyoverdose.deviantart.com/

If you wanna collab, battle  or need any help pm me :3

Baka
    • Group: Admin
    • Title: Buy vip >.>
    • Last active: Jun 05 2016 11:25 AM
      • LocationIn Moo's Pants jk

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

I actually proposed stopping SOTW to moo the other day until people feel like joining again. I can relate to them as I got bored after a while too on other sites in another time.

Idk about a Graphics Tournament, people tend to like to post their work individually 

WyvernAbstracts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

I actually proposed stopping SOTW to moo the other day until people feel like joining again. I can relate to them as I got bored after a while too on other sites in another time.

Idk about a Graphics Tournament, people tend to like to post their work individually 

fight me

2ykj9f5.png

The Universe is a Blank Canvas, and you're the Artist.

So make Life what you want it to be.

Zeast
    • Title: Sleepy
    • Last active: Oct 14 2016 08:09 AM
      • LocationThe Studio

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

fight me

:th_118_: Bow. it's a great idea since most of us are busy with their irl stuff. with irl stuff, the contestant probably will lose without making an entry. Deadline problems.

Well, at least the battleground section have a topic right? better than nothing. 

MhOcbP9.png

"There's no Dream Limitation"

Yang
      • LocationPlanet Earth

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

The first time I did something like this it was actually for a community about half the size of this one. So it's still possible. It just needs careful planning... Which anything that's outside the box usually needs careful planning anyway. And think, if a community half the size of this one (which, also I should also note wasn't primarily a gfx community anyway) can do it, so can you. 

True, those that don't win off the bat won't have anything to do for a month, but I'm hoping that something like this will spark more interest in the battlegrounds section... For example if a person loses, they can call out someone in the battleground for a friendly rematch. 

I also understand you may not have all the time in the world. Trust me I'm a working adult/homeowner/businessperson. If anyone gets deadlines and responsibilities, it's me. The good thing about a tournament though is how fast paced it is. 

I dunno. I think it's a good idea and I can definitely show you guys how easy it is to set up if you need the help. :p 

Fireclaw
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: ∞ Infinite Darkness ∞
    • Last active: May 12 2015 04:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

Perhaps we should revisit this once the holidays start and activity picks up again...

Posted Image

Unclemax
    • Last active: Dec 27 2015 02:44 PM
      • LocationMars

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Perhaps we should revisit this once the holidays start and activity picks up again...

Holidays start tomorrow here, thus stay tuned ;)

dvlhqf.png

Thank you, Xtacy!

Kesey
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: Elephant in the room
    • Last active: Feb 04 2017 02:37 PM

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

fringefx was dope

8c2ef1aabf.jpg

SeeJay