• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

OC on FB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: OC on FB (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be a member of a Facebook group, only allowed for OC members?

1. Yes (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote

Unclemax
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: Dec 27 2015 02:44 PM
      • LocationMars

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

so, skype isnt an exactly good idea, but creating a facebook group is just perfect, now isnt it?
baka and moo can kick peeps who are spamming from the group, which is not possible on skype...
vote

dvlhqf.png

Thank you, Xtacy!

faux
    • Title: House Beoulve
    • Last active: May 23 2015 05:04 PM

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

lol.

https://www.facebook.com/onecanvas

Saif
    • Title: Skill n' Power
    • Last active: Feb 09 2016 01:20 PM

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

No man, skype would be better :).

EicaPAM.png

Thank You Maid For The Awesome Signature | My YT Channel

Unclemax
    • Last active: Dec 27 2015 02:44 PM
      • LocationMars

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

creating a facebook GROUP is just perfect
lol.

No man, skype would be better :).

why? much spam, contact requests etc...

dvlhqf.png

Thank you, Xtacy!

Saif
    • Title: Skill n' Power
    • Last active: Feb 09 2016 01:20 PM

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

creating a facebook GROUP is just perfect
lol.

why? much spam, contact requests etc...

Though there's spam etc... it's still better than fb, fb sucks for make group.

Edited by SaifArts, 05 August 2014 - 12:23 PM.

EicaPAM.png

Thank You Maid For The Awesome Signature | My YT Channel

faux

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Oh, that kind of group. I don't use Facebook enough to differentiate things like that. Still, I don't see the point. They made the Steam, FB, <whatever else there was> mainly as a placeholder. I don't see why the point of making more places dedicated to OC serves a distinct purpose when you can do it on OC itself (general sense). Because as you saw from the FB, it shows little interest on that front--both in the people and Baka himself.  In addition, the lazy level is high among the echelons to bother managing anything more as they do things mainly 'under the hood' (as noted by the RotM).

Edited by faux, 05 August 2014 - 12:38 PM.

Baka
    • Group: Admin
    • Title: Buy vip >.>
    • Last active: Apr 08 2017 03:45 PM
      • LocationIn Moo's Pants jk

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Oh, that kind of group. I don't use Facebook enough to differentiate things like that. Still, I don't see the point. They made the Steam, FB, <whatever else there was> mainly as a placeholder. I don't see why the point of making more places dedicated to OC serves a distinct purpose when you can do it on OC itself (general sense). Because as you saw from the FB, it shows little interest on that front--both in the people and Baka himself.  In addition, the lazy level is high among the echelons to bother managing anything more as they do things mainly 'under the hood' (as noted by the RotM).

This is the general thought that Moo had that we don't have to outsource shit elsewhere when we are trying to keep people on OC. 

I just made those groups for the lulz, not really a point to them.

Also lazy? really? do you really want to go there? did you really feel the need to add that extra shit? I've already had this discussion with Neurology, I don't want to start another with you.

faux

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

This is the general thought that Moo had that we don't have to outsource **** elsewhere when we are trying to keep people on OC. 

I just made those groups for the lulz, not really a point to them.

Also lazy? really? do you really want to go there? did you really feel the need to add that extra ****? I've already had this discussion with Neurology, I don't want to start another with you.

The questions I will use represent usage of Socratic questioning to reach a conclusion--not meant to be taken literally. I didn't really think much when I initially used 'lazy' and you can read this as subjective BS.  I don't intend to start a discussion as I believe you are free to run the site how you want. I just chose to explain because I think you missed the reason why I used lazy due to a fault of mine for not really thinking through its usage. So I feel responsible for explaining. 

To explain what I mean by lazy... If the house looks messy, it's messy. Even if everything is organized to spec where you can efficiently recall where everything is. Still messy. You said you are constantly changing and tweaking things (if I correctly recall), and I accept that.But still, it doesn't change the face value. Thus, it has a lazy facade, does it not? 

If you took it as a criticism, go ahead. You can prove me wrong when I see things moving more smoothly for myself. As it is, the site still feels the same (maybe due to a true 100Mb/s connection--used bits on purpose). So are those tweaks more valuable than cleaning the 'house'? One that users visually see and interact with daily? Rather than a slew of small adjustments a fraction of users actually notice because of the gradation in implementation. I don't think the site will have degrading performance issues if you focused on things users actually interact.

I don't recall what Neurology cited, but from a logical standpoint, I can only see it as lazy. Or perhaps more aptly called 'wrong priorities.' However, I wouldn't call it that because it makes what I am pointing out more condescending than it realistically is. 'Lazy' is a low-impact vocabulary word (example, hate has a strong impact), and so I feel at ease throwing it around.   

As a concession, true it's better to constantly improve the site. That is assuming it takes a large amount of time (in essence, you can spend finite time on improvement) and you can't do much else. Comparatively, how long would it take to change the thumbnail and link of the RotM? Or how long would it take to implement a more seamless submission closing method? It's not the Mods' job to wait because of unclear closing issues. It's the person who might enter late. Or the person who might vote late. It's not really hard to think of an idea that'll reduce pressure on the mods' as well as simplify the overall system (granted, insufficient HTML knowledge holds back suggestions). But the point being, as it is now, which has greater impact on making the site run more smoothly? The tweaks? Or the consistency of the site? This is the case how I use lazy.

Edited by faux, 06 August 2014 - 12:30 AM.

SirMoo
    • Group: Admin
    • Title: Rawr! :3
    • Last active: Jan 30 2017 01:50 PM
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Place holders, yes, but I don't want to have us spread out managing other sites that clone some of the functions we have here. It's extra work we don't need. I don't use Facebook in my personal life so won't have any thing to do with that... But why would we take discussion OFF the site? We never Baka's personal page... And other than hold our name... I've not seen a convincing argument for us to focus on another... Workload needs to be balanced with benefit.

Faux, your concept of cleaning the house is a little of. Yes, the house needs to be cleaned, but making sure the foundation is sturdy is more important. OC is run on a VPS (with BakaRenders). The biggest problem is that we use up all the memory and the server has to be reset... These small tweaks go in the way of increasing and testing cache, improving CDN spread, maximizing page loads, and just overall adjustments to put less strain on the server and spread it more to CDN. The main site loads from Chicago, but various parts like JavaScript and images are hosted around the US and EU to take load off the box so I can save a bit of cash on something that doesn't pay the bills.

So... Am I lazy on house keeping? Maybe... But I've spent all day putting in a new support beam so I deserve it.

Fireclaw
    • Group: VIP Member
    • Title: ∞ Infinite Darkness ∞
    • Last active: May 12 2015 04:33 PM

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

Just to weigh in here a bit before I close this topic.

A) As baka said, we don't want to distract from the site, and honestly the only exterior groups that are worth having and don't detract from the site experience are Steam (because it's for gaming with friends) and maybe DeviantArt (because it can promote OneCanvas and get new members if we do it properly).

B) I would just like to point out a couple things about the use of the word lazy. If something doesn't get done that should, it is lazy. Example: This week, I didn't close the SOTW on time. Baka posted in the thread for me to "get my lazyass in here". Oftentimes, I will joke, and say that "Moo is too lazy, so that feature will never get implemented." This is different in terms of usage. It does not mean that moo is too lazy, but rather that the amount of effort that would be required for such a small feature, is not worth it. ie custom coding a plugin to do a certain function on the site.

So, all in all. Don't use the word lazy when you actually mean it, because to be honest, it has no meaning on this site. If you are trying to give constructive feedback, use things like "I think you should prioritize this" rather than "I think you are lazy". It gets the message across better. Especially when you want to be constructive.

If you ARE joking however, please feel free to continue to point out how much of a lazy coder Moo actually is. :P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users