• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

Activity Improvement

activity improvement active competitions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

WOLAND
  • WOLAND
    • Group: EXILED
    • Title: Banned
    • Last active: May 26 2014 09:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hello guys!

So as we all know, OC is confronting with this problem when it comes to competitions - members activity. I took a look at the competitions category, at the rules, the structure and the way you create the contests and I realized you need some improvements.
Firstly, it is not necessary to separate a contest like that: one topic for the contest itself to be made for rules and discussions and another topic for voting. People'll get lazy and it's just not right imo. It doesn't look professional at all. Here's what I think you should do:
Make
only one topic about the rules of the section so that you won't write them down again at each SOTW. Make only one topic for the week, where users should post their signatures freely. After they all post, the moderator that created the contest should just make a post there ("START VOTE") and users would just vote their favourite sig. Discussions should ONLY be posted by users after the moderator announced the winner, in the same topic.
I believe this is a  better structure and a well organized way to make contests.
 Here is a model of SOTW contest that you may want to use: 

Theme: (ex: guild wars)
Size: (ex: horizontal AND vertical)
Duration: (ex: 5 days)
Prize: SOTW award and 10 points.
Rules: <Link to the topic>

SmYIfSS.gif

QckdC9q.gif

Secondly, I see that you only offer a 'contest winner' prize when someone wins sotw and after winning 2 or more times the user won't be able to win again for we should let others users win too. That would mean the people that won the contest winner prize already might not participate again just because it is guaranteed they won't win. Here's what I think you should do:
As far as I know, there are two categories for contests (SOTW and POTF) and hopefully you will create MOTW. Wouldn't be a lot better to make a separate prize for sotw, a separate prize for potf and one for motw? One advantage is that people will try to participate in each contest so that they will have the whole package. And it is more organized that way. Also, I suggest installing a plugin for points. When someone wins a contest, he gets the sotw or the potf award but also 5 or 10 points. This way, people will take part even if they had already won an award. And so, in the index page of OC, right in the left would be a little place called "The Richest Members": and there would be like 5 or 10 members that have collected the most points through competitions. 

kmxLtPa.gif

Edited by WOLAND, 15 April 2014 - 04:25 AM.

SirMoo
    • Group: Admin
    • Title: Rawr! :3
    • Last active: Jan 30 2017 01:50 PM
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

Firstly, it is not necessary to separate a contest like that: one topic for the contest itself to be made for rules and discussions and another topic for voting. People'll get lazy and it's just not right imo. It doesn't look professional at all.

I disagree completely. The initial post is the announcement with the topic and discussion about said topic. This allows for people to post concerns about said topic as well as posting requests for other information and calcification on the topic and explanations on possible additional rules for that particular contest.

We then post voting as a way to drive attention to the vote as the discussions will create clutter if combined with voting.

Make only one topic about the rules of the section so that you won't write them down again at each SOTW.

Some contests have a slightly different set of rules for that particular one. Also, you've created a contradiction with yourself already. First you say to have less threads... Then you say for people to go back to read old threads. I can guarantee that if we don't post the rules each time, people will do things slightly wrong because they'll be too lazy to go read the proper rules thread.

where users should post their signatures freely.

Not happening. All of our contests will be blind. You have no need to know who made the image. You're not voting on the person. You're voting on the image.

Prize: SOTW award and 10 points.

What the hell are points?

Secondly, I see that you only offer a 'contest winner' prize when someone wins sotw and after winning 2 or more times the user won't be able to win again for we should let others users win too. That would mean the people that won the contest winner prize already might not participate again just because it is guaranteed they won't win.

You've understood wrong. We only allow 2 consecutive wins in a row. If they win their First and Second entry... They can not win their Third... However, they CAN win their Fourth and Fifth.  And so on, and so on. You've obviously not payed attention to the awards which has an award for winning 3 contests.

Wouldn't be a lot better to make a separate prize for sotw, a separate prize for potf and one for motw? One advantage is that people will try to participate in each contest so that they will have the whole package.

Only thing you've said that I slightly agree with.

Also, I suggest installing a plugin for points. When someone wins a contest, he gets the sotw or the potf award but also 5 or 10 points. This way, people will take part even if they had already won an award. And so, in the index page of OC, right in the left would be a little place called "The Richest Members": and there would be like 5 or 10 members that have collected the most points through competitions. 

Pretty pointless as the points will be for nothing and mean nothing. We've had had a system before and learned that point systems are easy to exploit. They also increase spam if you get points for posting. This doesn't increase people to contribute in a positive manner.

I'd like to ask if you've every run a forum or run a contest on a forum that gains more than 5 entries.

Furthermore, I think you need to make sure you have all your facts straight and have solidly gone through your ideas first so you don't create contradictory concepts of "NO EXTRA THREADS!" with "LINK TO EXTRA THREADS!".

None of what you really said will inspire people to post more as it's most semantics and stylization. In fact, the reason we have a Theme and then a Voting thread is that it generates MORE members to vote who are not participating in the actual contest itself (like myself).

I believe I covered everything.

WOLAND
  • WOLAND
    • Group: EXILED
    • Title: Banned
    • Last active: May 26 2014 09:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

I'll only answer to your question, for my efforts in this forum are a waste of time as I see, and there's no need for me to ever get involved again. 

Yes, I have taken part in many competitions on another forum. A well organized and structured forum, with professional designers, active members and also capable and open-minded admins.

SirMoo
    • Title: Rawr! :3
    • Last active: Jan 30 2017 01:50 PM
      • LocationMexico

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

I'll only answer to your question, for my efforts in this forum are a waste of time as I see, and there's no need for me to ever get involved again. 

Yes, I have taken part in many competitions on another forum. A well organized and structured forum, with professional designers, active members and also capable and open-minded admins.

Are you aware of how many times we've had a member come here and say that we're doing things completely wrong and complain about random aspects of the forum without actually knowing anything technical about administering or dealing with members. People who say "Users numbers are low!" when we're having more users than before they posted.

I expect constructive, specific, and detailed comments without fake assumption or exaggerations made. If the ideas meet this. Then I'm happy to consider them.

Baka
    • Title: Buy vip >.>
    • Last active: Apr 08 2017 03:45 PM
      • LocationIn Moo's Pants jk

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

and all was well in OC Town. 

The End

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: activity, improvement, active, competitions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users