• Create Account

Important Announcement!

Welcome to the Site! Make sure to Register first to get access to all the Features. I know the site is empty at the moment but what site isn't empty in the beginning? :P Click here to read the FAQ. The FAQ will answer the majority of the questions that you have such as "Allowed Signature Size and Avatar Size". Please click here to read the Rules and see what is allowed and what not. Thank you for joining! Have fun posting, help us fill the site with love and art!

Photo

Extending 'Competitions' Section

competitions logos manipulations logo manipulation compete exercise category lotw motw

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

WOLAND
  • WOLAND
    • Group: EXILED
    • Title: Banned
    • Last active: May 26 2014 09:41 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

It's been seven months since I've posted this suggestion and I'm quite surprised that you haven't applied it yet. Seriously, seven months.

So, regarding the competition section, which represents an important opportunity for appliance of skills and gaining experience, I believe it is a bit limited right now.  As I have seen, we have some very talented users registered here, so if we only offer them a small place to compete with each other, they'll lose their skills. 

The point is, we should make some more categories for design contests; categories like LOTW (Logo of The Week), MOTW (Manipulation of The Week) which - in my opinion - are actually the most important. Signatures are futile and aimless, I may add. Sure, we all started our contribution in "art" through signatures but once we get used to the interface we should step into the next level. We should start making constructive things, like logos, manipulations, program & web interfaces and so on. 

So that's what I suggest: go for a change and extend a bit the competition section. At least make the LOTW category. I, among others, would be pleased to participate and exercise my abilities.

Thanks! 

Edited by WOLAND, 07 April 2014 - 02:19 PM.

Baka
    • Group: Admin
    • Title: Buy vip >.>
    • Last active: Apr 08 2017 03:45 PM
      • LocationIn Moo's Pants jk

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Let me ask you this then. When was the last time you entered a contest on OC? 

yeah.

Fact is, we are focusing more on keeping SOTW alive now. I never wanted any competitions on the site tbh. So if SOTW dies, then boo hoo, i'll remove it as it's not that important.

Also

. When was the last time you entered a contest on OC? 

People just don't enter that often. Look at POTF. Giving 2 weeks to people to take some picture of textures. Wood, Grass, Terrain, Stone etc. Easy shit, just point and shoot. Anyone can do it yet only 2 entries. 

That isn't very pleasing. I will not make a new section just for it to die. Id rather have 1 active competition than 5 dead ones.

Also you were afk for 5 months so sorry to say this but you're trying to give suggestions for new competions when you aren't even on the site or entering the present ones. Your last post excluding today was in December 2013. How can we expect to add more competitions with people AFKing so long like you did?

Also the site is new and it takes time. When the time is right and the activity is up, then I will consider adding more.

musingsofJer
    • Group: Regular Member
    • Last active: May 06 2014 09:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

If I had a camera worth a damn, I'd enter the Photo one as I live in a pretty cool area where I can get amazing photos. *mental note get a camera XD

WOLAND
  • WOLAND
    • Group: EXILED
    • Title: Banned
    • Last active: May 26 2014 09:41 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

" When was the last time you entered a contest on OC? "

"People just don't enter that often."

That's what I was talking about in this topic.  How do you expect us to enter a competition if there is only ONE TYPE of competition on this forum? Some of us are NOT interested in signatures (let's leave photography aside for now, since you need a camera in order to participate). 

Let me make an analogy: let's say you buy a lottery ticket. You now have the opportunity to win 5 million $. But if you buy one, two or three more tickets there is a bigger probability to win.
Same here. The community is divided in different types of designers. Some of us are interested in signatures, others like logos, manipulations, digital paintings, web concepts and so on. The question is what if 60 - 70 % of the users registered here are interested in logos and you only have a section for signatures? Since they're not interested in signatures, they'll leave and try other communities that support them and give them the opportunity to exercise their skills, whatever they're based on.

That's why I left. I saw potential and desire to learn here but it wasn't organised well. The users were limited on signatures, and the others who wanted to expend they're knowledge and experience moved on, as I did. I made a suggestion, you refused it, procrastinated it and this is why you keep standing on the same wrong foot, not moving. You refuse a good change. And then you're wondering why the heck there's no activity. 

A flower needs land to grow. 

*dramatic end*  :0eeeff42:

Edited by WOLAND, 08 April 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: competitions, logos, manipulations, logo, manipulation, compete, exercise, category, lotw, motw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users